SBTC Elite Set for USA Championships; Jones Bronze at Junior Champs
Best in the country will descend on Des Moines, IA from June 21-24; SBTC Junior Elite, Allie Jones, finishes 3rd at USA Junior Outdoor Championships.
Des Moines, Iowa (June 19, 2018) – The 2018 USA Outdoor Track & Field National Championships returns to the blue oval at Drake University and once again the Santa Barbara Track Club (SBTC) is sending multiple athletes to compete in the two-day multi-event competitions. Two Decathletes led by Austin Bahner and Thomas FitzSimons, Jr. as well as two Heptathletes, SBTC newcomer Juanita Webster-Freeman and Nikki Larch-Miller, will join the best in the country to see who will be crowned America's greatest athletes. SBTC alum, Lindsay Schwartz is also set to compete.
- Event Website
- Complete Competition Schedule & Broadcast Schedule
- Decathlon: Thursday, June 21 & Friday June 22
- Heptathlon: Saturday, June 23 & Sunday, June 24
SBTC By the Numbers
- Austin Bahner is ranked 6th with a qualifying mark of 7,850pts. Austin is 2014 graduate of Wichita State University. At the 2016 USA Olympic Team Trials he finished 8th.
- Thomas FitzSimons, Jr. is coming out of retirement to compete in one more USA championship. The veteran from Mount St. Mary's University (2011) finished 4th at the 2015 national championships. He is ranked 12th with a qualifying score of 7,494pts.
- Juanita Webster-Freeman is the latest addition to the SBTC Elite ranks with an eye on the 2020 Olympiad. She enters the national championships with the 10th best qualifying score at 5,788pts; a mark she set just a few weeks ago.
- Nikki Larch-Miller heads into the competition ranked 16th with a qualifying score of 5,563pts. Nikki is also a graduate of Wichita State University (2017) and hails from San Diego.
Allie Jones Win Bronze at USA Junior Outdoor National Championships
Prior to this week's competition, the USA Junior Outdoor National Championships were held in Bloomington, IN and hosted by Indiana University. SBTC Junior Elite athlete, Allie Jones (pictured), grabbed the podium with a 3rd place, bronze medal finish, scoring 5,098pts in the two-day, seven event Heptathlon competition. Jones set personal bests in an astonishing five of seven events: 200m (25.42), High Jump (1.61m / 5'3.25"), Long Jump (5.66m / 18'7"), Shot Put (11.84m / 38'10.25") and the Javelin Throw (29.42m / 96'6").
The San Marcos High School graduate will be competing for the Stanford Cardinal in the fall. The SBTC Junior Elite program is a private coaching opportunity for local high school student-athletes.